Sunday, October 18, 2009

Holidays

Its holiday time now. Our college has conceeded to grant us 2 weeks vacation, on the joyous vacation of diwali, plus (we think) due to the fact that Mumbai is usually unbearably hot during october.

I spent the 1st week blissfully at home. Home sweet home. Where my mother and father take care of everything, and care about the same things I do. Where everything is warm and familiar and welcoming. Where the day starts with the smell of delicious toast and eggs. Where the familiar scents of childhood make you feel happy and peaceful .. like the scent of breakfast, the scent of your bed, the scent of mom's perfume, the scent of our own cupboard....mmm... heavenly. Home... where u realise everytime you are there that you can never have enough of it, that its where your heart is and always will be, where you feel secure, and protected. Home.. where you always want to be and always wonder at the choices you made that drove you away from home. After this visit, I have realised 2 things - That "Home sweet home" is the most underrated saying, and secondly, I will live here as long as I can.. untill I can find another place to call home. No reason to stay away is ever good enough, and no matter howmuch we stay at home, it never feels enough. Leaving home is always heartbreaking.. to look at mom's sweet loving face and trying to smile bravely, fighting back uncontrollable sobs. To look at Dad's sad face, who out of the love in his heart will gladly drag heavy bags down the stairs even though he is old and frail, and shouldnt really be doing it.. cuz in his eyes we will always remain the tiny gurgling lump that was presented to him by the nurses in the hospital many years ago. Home is where I belong, and I have made a resolution that I will return to live there as soon as I can. Parents are our gifts from god, and they should be loved, cared for and cherished every single day. We can never be too old to live away from them... and people who keep their parents in old age homes... well i ll never understand those guys. I am and always will be, attached to their apron strings, will always be their little girl, and will always need them in my life. My parents are the best any child can have, and I feel blessed each day to be their daughter.

Diwali is the festival of lights. I am celebrating it here at bangalore, with my sis, jiju and my sweet little nephew. Sis is all about "crackers cause pollution, etc etc", but we convinced her that easily available and cheap eco friendly crackers are still on their way, and untill then, there's no point in depriving her son of the joy. I ve always wondered why crackers in India are not sold and marketed more.. Indians do have a lot to celebrate. Cricket victories, tennis victories, crop victories, weddings, functions, etc.. it could be a bigger market that it is now. 75% of their sales is only through Diwali.. I think the fireworks industry in India has a huge potential.

Signing out now ... :) Happy diwali :D

1 comment:

  1. The quote goes "We've had bad luck with our kids - they've all grown up"

    Yr parents r proud enough to raise such a wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete